08:30 to 10:00
15 May 2017
The National People’s Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) are the biggest events on the political calendar in China. The former is the equivalent of the parliament in Western democracies and the latter is China’s top political advisory body.
These two meetings are collectively known as “liang hui” where nearly 3,000 law makers and 2,000 members of the CPPCC meet with China’s top national and provincial leaders. The decisions and discussions at the two meetings are important because it gives us clues on the Chinese leadership’s intentions and thinking. Important political, social and economic issues are covered as well as plans and budgets for the coming year.
While the areas discussed at the two meetings are wide ranging, the above presentation focuses more importantly on the implications and signals to foreign companies seeking to do business in China. This is based on the analysis and findings gathered by Ruder Finn’s China Public Affairs Practice.
The key areas covered include opportunities, the approach and ways of navigating the Chinese (state owned) business landscape. In particular, a focus on dealing with Chinese State Owned Enterprises which at this time are undergoing massive reforms.
An outline of the session follows:
1. The Special Importance of the 2017 Session
2. China’s GDP growth trend and What It means
3. Structural Imbalance and Need for Structural Reform
4. China’s Economic Growth Roadmap and Role of Government
5. Focus Areas – Investment Environment, Sustainable Development, “One Belt One Road,” State Owned Enterprise (SOE) Reform
6. Understanding Lay of the Land & Challenges – Facts about SOEs, The Three Missions of SOEs, Hallmarks of SOE key executives, ...
7. Dealing Effectively with Chinese SOEs – Quanxi plus
8. Market Access Case Study
9. Q&A session
You will hear from Ruder Finn’s Tham Kok Wing, Senior Vice President, Engagement and Integration, Asia Pacific, who worked closely with the China Public Affairs Team to bring this report to you.
About the Speaker:
- Mr Kok Wing Tham, SVP, Engagement & Integration, Asia Pacific, Ruder Finn Asia
Kok Wing has close to 30 years’ experience in strategic and advisory work, media and marketing communications as well as a confidante to clients in both the private and public sectors. He served in the foreign service and was also a former journalist.
- Please note that this event is restricted to French Chamber members only -
Please note that photographs and videos may be taken during the event for news and publicity purposes.